Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Aspirations

aspiration, noun: a strong desire to achieve something high or great

I am the kind of person who has to have something to strive for.  Before I had kids, my life was pretty focused on completing my college degree.  That is on hold for awhile, until the kids are in school full time.

Goals and aspirations were on the back burner for awhile while my babies were babies.  Feeding them, changing diapers, and keeping the house reasonably clean consumed my thoughts 24/7.  Now that they are growing up (*sniff*), I have decided to bring back some modest goals into my life.  I am going to start working out again, and I am going to get this house in order.

I already have a gym membership that I was seriously considering canceling, but I found a new location with a wonderful daycare center that my son seems to love.  The first location we went to was just not good; my son would scream for 10 minutes straight until they called me away from exercising.  I never got anything done.  Today he stayed in the daycare center for almost two hours while I exercised, took a nice long shower, and blow-dried my hair.  You might not understand what a luxury it is for me to blow-dry my hair without being interrupted, but it's pretty up there these days.  My workout plan includes going to the gym 3-5 times a week, sometimes to attend classes and sometimes to workout on my own.  That will mostly depend on when I can get there and what is available.  Last night I tried to go to this class called "Soul Grooves," which I thought was dancing, but which turned out to be belly dancing.  I just could not get into it!  There was a 70-year-old woman there who was hilarious to watch, both because she was so into it and because she could barely move her hips.  I had to leave after 20 minutes because I was so frustrated with the routine.  I just wanted to jump around and dance, not wiggle my hips leftrightleftrightleftright over and over!

Part of the problem with keeping the house as clean as I would like it is not remembering/realizing what needs to be cleaned at any given time.  It's kind of an out of sight, out of mind issue.  So I made a list of everything that needs to be cleaned on a weekly and daily basis and have been trying to stick to that.  It's been immensely helpful and the house looks much better!

What are your aspirations, big or small?

No comments:

Post a Comment